Potentials and opportunities for companies
Global climate change, rising resource constraints and demographic change are just some of the key challenges of the 21st century, which will have far-reaching consequences for businesses.
Why is sustainability management relevant to your company?
Due to increasing societal and political requirements at national and international level, many companies have to deal deeper with the topic of sustainability:
- Entry into force of the UN Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs) as a global objective
- Commitment to CSR reporting in the EU for corporations
- Establishment of the 2-degree at the Paris climate conference
- Adoption of the National Program for Sustainable Consumption of the Federal Government
The increased support for sustainability issues highlights the growing relevance for a goal-oriented sustainability management at an entrepreneurial level. As well in public perception, the demonstrable examination of the social and ecological consequences of entrepreneurial activity is increasingly expected as an elementary part of future-oriented corporate management. For companies with clearly defined sustainability strategies, investors see greater potential for value increases, making sustainability a critical investment criterion. Studies such as Investing for a Sustainable Future of the Boston Consulting Group not only demonstrate the high relevance but also the negative consequences: if the sustainability performance were poor, more than 50% of investors withdrew their investments.
n order to support companies in the efficient and effective introduction of sustainability into strategy and operational procedures, abat AG extends its performance portfolio with the aspect of sustainability. The formation of this new consulting offer is preceded by a research collaboration with the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg on the subject of sustainability, which has existed since 2013. As SAP service provider and product provider, the company has great synergies in data analysis and data processing. The expertise in the area of analyzing and optimizing business processes in the field of large business application systems is also of great advantage, since the effects of digitization are strongly linked to the requirements in the area of sustainability, especially in more complex environments.
Requirements for sustainability management
In order to meet the requirements of the 21st century, sustainability aspects must be integrated into the existing management systems and processes, as this is the only way to tap potentials for future company success. The tasks of sustainability management include:
- Carrying out materiality assessment
- Considerations of the current sustainability commitment
- Transfer of the relevant topics into a target system
- Identification of relevant non-financial ratios
This makes the company's sustainability performance measurable, controllable and communicable. IT-based acquisition and processing can reduce the effort. Furthermore, modern analytical methods and techniques can do the following:
- Make the impact of sustainable business on the success of the company measurable and visible
- Identify energy and resource inefficiencies and realize cost-cutting potentials
- Provide non-financial ratios for stakeholders and enable communication
Good communication and high transparency are also indispensable to convince investors of their own sustainability strategy.
- Sustainability reporting - preparation, data analysis and conception of sustainability reports
- Strategic sustainability management - set-up, introduction and maintenance of sustainability management
- Material flow management - evaluation of processes and services
- Preparation and support for certifications